Sunday 9 February 2014

My 200-word story

More views of - or before - Cambridge Film Festival 2013
(Click here to go directly to the Festival web-site)


9 February


My 200-word story

For Mark Brown


I needed to tell a story in exactly 200 words.

I looked in my wallet and my purse, but I only had 63. I rang up my brother – probably it was too early, as he gave me just 2 words, and I knew that my girlfriend would be the same.

I sat down by the cat, who trilled to see me, so I lay down next to her and stroked her as she walked all around me. That was another dozen, but 133 to go…

Outside, I saw one of my neighbours go past, so I dashed out and talked to him about the weather until I was up to 98 – halfwayish.

Meanwhile, the free paper had arrived, and, as I picked it up, a word fell out. I shook it thoroughly, and was then short by 45 – careless, these journalists !

I called my girlfriend after all, and, although she sometimes doesn’t have a good word for me, I was left 16 short.

Checking pockets and drawers took the total to one hundred and eighty-nine, requiring 11…

Sad at being so close, I went to the park. Wait, though - all those numbered yellow football shirts had words…


Done it !





Unless stated otherwise, all films reviewed were screened at Festival Central (Arts Picturehouse, Cambridge)

No comments: