Tuesday 15 October 2013

Shamelessly hitching a ride with The @MovieEvangelist

More views of - or before - Cambridge Film Festival 2013
(Click here to go directly to the Festival web-site)


16 October

He, otherwise Mark Liversidge, reviewed Project Trident's annual Tridentfest screenings for TAKE ONE - I, has having done the hard work, shall come along afterwards, like Ruth (?), with my gleanings and pickings :


* The Vampire rap was hilarious - well written, neatly delivered, and with a devilish selection of clips and effects to tickle our visual sense, so classic Trident (from Simon and Carl) !

* Simon also works with Andrzej - I hesitate to call it 'manic', so overworked that word is, but there is a conviction to when Andrzej turns up the intensity, which was Gothic and hilarious at the same time last year with Carl's hand in the blender, that I delighted in when he came in with his jumble of overly logical commands of the general type

Do X.

If there is a moon visible or you are wearing black, do Y instead.

Find a cat.

You're wearing black, so just do Y.


Relentlessly funny, and getting ever closer to Carl, so that Andrzej's nose was virtually up Carl's nostril, this was terrific and one of my favourites for the night.


* Mark has brilliantly covered the 48-hour film entry - it and the making-of film (counting as one) were, with The Fabulous Poo Brothers' film, in my favourite three, and there is a link given to it by Mark on his review page

* The film with The Fruit Lady had me in stitches, too, so is the last of my choices - maybe I just have a crush on Simon (since he links them)... ?


A lull ensued with the music videos, and I lost concentration, although the green screen footage was good, but I got trashed with a giant Andrzej and even more giant moustache, so was in no fit state, which was a shame, for Buccanearly from Ryd Cook, and could not take in what was on the screen, or what it might be or mean

The music videos, I could take or leave (I kept getting stuck in highly immutable modes that did not accommodate the flexibility / versatility of the programme), and I just failed to relate to what 90-odd-minute interest there could be in Carl's synopsis (though Anthony Hopkins or Tony Blair sprang to mind for casting the clerical gentleman), but we crashed through with Carl's hoverboard fantasia, and it felt like a good night


No ill will to anyone whose work I did not relate to on the night - I could probably and happily laughed at things throughout, probably because of the tawdriness that I found in My Sweet Pepper Land (2013), and so was not well placed for anything else : those things were gratefully received, and I hope that I can find Buccanearly somewhere and give it the attention it deserved !




Unless stated otherwise, all films reviewed were screened at Festival Central (Arts Picturehouse, Cambridge)

No comments: