Tuesday 7 February 2012

Written by a sixteen-year-old Mozart

Written by a sixteen-year-old Mozart : Evidence for time-travel and / or multiple selves


More views of - or after - Cambridge Film Festival 2011
(Click here to go directly to the Festival web-site)


8 February (8 April, emphases and Tweet added)


Written by a sixteen-year-old Mozart : Evidence for time-travel and / or multiple selves


If you were like me, you'd imagine that Mozart proudly showing the score of his new string quartet to the five-year-old Mozart, while twenty-two-year-old Mozart looks on and yawns (or, probably, worse) - just a quirky turn of phrase from Jonathan Swain, who is presenting Through the Night on Radio 3.

And it interacts with a recent realization that the daytime schedule (by chance or design) is now dominated by female presenters, and those all of a certain age and apparent class - yes, there is Sean Rafferty still, hanging on in his very enjoyable spot on In Tune, and there is the excellent Donald Macleod following on (the less-excellent DM goes and picks grapes instead), usually straight after, with Composer of the Week.

Otherwise, though, it's Sara Mohr-Pietsch (2.5h), Sarah Walker (3h), then DM for 1h (for his first airing at noon), then, this week, it was Suzy Klein as, I think, both afternoon anchor and hosting In Tune in Sean's absence, which would be I don't know how many hours.

Where are the male presenters of that age isn't my question, but why, when one goes from SW to SM-P to SK to Katie Derham, the utter death-knell of my interest in listening (if I can help it), is there - what I may not be alone in finding - a gradient of irritation with their self-satisfaction?




I confess that I mistook SK for the dreaded KD this week - it's something, for me, not far off the renowned oiliness of the Reverend Chadband in Bleak House, it's an expression of an opinion that goes beyond the bounds and tells me what I think (or should think) of what I have just heard, or what, in the case of something to be played or to be heard, what I will think.

Sorry, but I want to make my own mind up! I don't mind the odd 'Listen out for what the piccolo does in the opening of the slow movement, which might sound like a bird / which many have thought resembles a bird', but not being told piccolo = bird = fact. Music isn't like that, and, maybe, I resent the surface knowledge that seems to claim some sort of superiority, some sort of passport to understanding a piano sonata or a concerto - we all know that presenters are just presenters, but the ones whom I mention seem to have this edge of seeming to want to be too keen to tell you what's what in case you don't think that they're doing a good job.

That, I think, might be the underlying motivation - which I can understand, as few things are secure - but I perceive it as smugness, of glad-handing it with my mates Brahms or Bach, and - if you're lucky - Tag along with me and you might learn something. To which, without saying it or putting it into words (until now), I feel like saying: I welcome being told facts or details that might enhance my enjoyment, but Please don't teach your grandma to suck eggs.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

With the exception of Sara Mohr Peitsch who is first rate and whose intellect rings true for a R3 announcer (the others want to be presenters but are not) and Sarah Walker, who is a little bit too 'jolly' for my liking but a thoroughly decent lady all the same, all the underlined besides these two, (Katie Derham and especially Suzi Klein) are soo self-important, smug irritants on air and the latter during interviews, actually telling the interviewee a kind of multiple-choice answer she expects them to give; as if bolstering her knowledge on their given subject. Ms. Klein is beyond help though. Probably a personal friend to the controller. Also, I used to enjoy S M-P covering the Proms on television, but in came KD and that dreadful gurn; window dressing, though S M-P is far more attractive and exudes class without even trying. A true academic who knows the subject, rather than reading from a script.